Acceptable & Unacceptable Materials for County Recycling Centers
FEMA Personnel are currently working in the County. They will be wearing FEMA shirts and should have photo badges and credentials. To file a claim contact 1-800-621-3362 or www.disasterassistance.gov
Tax Relief for Victims of Hurricane Florence in North Carolina
Ayuda tributaria para víctimas del huracán Florence en Carolina del Norte
Columbus County Offices Are Open
- East Columbus High School Shelter will close today September 22, 2018 at 2pm.
- Hurricane Florence Press Release (09/22/2018 2:00pm)
- Points of Distribution in which the public can pick up bottled water, MRE’s and tarps. (09/22/2018 1:00pm)
Evergreen Fire Department
North Whiteville Fire Department
Hallsboro Fire Department
Lake Waccamaw – BB&T
White Marsh Fire Department
Brunswick Fire Department
Williams Township Fire Department
Tabor City Fire Department
Chadbourn Fire Department
Fair Bluff – Old Auto Parts Store
Bolton Fire Department
Columbus Baptist Distribution Center 28 Whiteville Plaza, Whiteville, NC.
- The Transfer station at the Columbus County Landfill will be open tomorrow, Saturday from 7:30am-4:00pm. (9/21/2018 9:30am)
- Hurricane Florence Press Release (9/21/2018)
- Building permit fees have been waived for Columbus County residents who were damaged in Hurricane Florence.(9/20/2018 1:00pm)
If you live in the Special Flood Hazard Area (floodplain), you MUST obtain a building permit & floodplain permit from Columbus County Planning Department and Building Inspections Department before you repair, alter, or replace any of the following items: roof, walls, siding, plaster, cabinets, flooring, electrical systems, plumbing, heating, air conditioning units, or foundation. The permit office must conduct a damage assessment of the building (including commercial buildings) to determine if a structure is more than 50% damaged (substantially damaged). If a structure is substantially damaged, the structure may not be repaired until it meets current flood protection requirements. It is imperative that the community permit office is contacted prior to taking any actions to repair damage related to the flood. Planning Department (640-6608) and Building Inspections (640-6619).
You may proceed with cleanup activities and temporary emergency repairs to prevent further deterioration, such as preventing the spread of mold and/or mildew, without a permit. These include: removing and disposing of damaged contents, carpeting, wallboard, and insulation; hosing and scrubbing, or cleaning floors, walls, and duct work; covering holes in roofs or walls and covering windows to prevent the weather from inflicting further damage; and removing sagging ceilings, shoring up broken foundations, and other actions to make the building safe to enter. Prior to proceeding with cleanup activities that are allowed without a permit, you should thoroughly document the condition of the building by photographing the inside and outside of all areas that are being affected by the cleanup/emergency repairs.
- The Columbus County Public Utilities Department will be providing water to their customers as well as other municipalities during Hurricane Florence. However, we would like to remind everyone to be prepared prior to the storms arrival just in case any damages occur to the Public Water Supply System that is out of our control. The system is run with wells and tanks and during power outages we rely on generators to keep the system running. Although we will do our best to accommodate people during this massive storm, please keep in mind that the safety of our employees is our utmost concern. If you have a water emergency, please call 910-770-2158 and staff will assess the situation when it is safe to do so and will make all necessary repairs as soon as possible. Tinted water is possible due to changes in the direction of the flow of the system. The system is chlorinated and is not harmful by state standards; however, please make all necessary preparations prior to the arrival of Hurricane Florence. (9/13/2018 10:00am)
- Waste Industries Trash Pickup - Trash will NOT be picked up for the rest of the week. Services will resume when conditions are safe enough to do so. (9/12/2018 3:00pm)
- Columbus County Offices will be CLOSED Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, September 12, 13 and 14, 2018 (9/11/2018 11:30am)
- Shelters will Open at 9:00am on Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - The Shelters are located at West Columbus, South Columbus, East Columbus, Guideway and Edgewood Elementary schools. (9/11/2018 4:30pm)
- The Emergency Operations Center will open at 9:00am on Wednesday, September 12, 2018 (9/11/2018 4:30pm)
- Columbus County Transportation will close Wednesday September 12, 2018 at 12:00 pm due to Hurricane Florence. We will re-open as soon as conditions permit. (9/11/2018 3:00pm)
- The Columbus County Animal Shelter Will Be Closed All Week Due To Hurricane Florence (9/10/2018 12:00pm)
Check back for updates on County Office closings, Shelter information, etc
Also see the Official Columbus County Facebook Page.